Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Settebellos

Settebellos is an interesting place. There are only two locations in the world. Senior can be found in Las Vegas and junior is in Salt Lake. I've heard the restaurant lauded for their truly authentic Italian pizza. Pizza so Itlaian the closest thing you'll get to it is the real deal in Italy.

Everything is imported from Italy: every ingredient and even the head chef. Insane love of Napoli style pizza is what brought this place to Salt Lake City. As their menu and website will tell you, the founders of Settebello worked with a bunch of pizza-obsessed Italians to create a Vera Pizza Napoletana (an organization dedicated to preserving true Napoli pizza) certified pizza.

For an appetizer we started with foccacia, it was very good. It had a great texture and the right amount of rosemary flavor to balance with the extra virgin olive oil and peppper.

For our pizza we ordered a margherita with garlic and the house speciality: the settebello. Both were delicious. The crust cooked to a nice golden brown on top, the cheese melty and delicious. Even the tomato sauce was simple, sweet and delicious. The ingredients were all very fresh and very yummy.

Everything appeared very clean. But given the taste of burnt crust in my mouth they don't clean the oven. This really bothers me. Typically, I'm prepared to love any new place I try. I want to love Settebellos. I want to tell people they have the best pizza you can find in Salt Lake. But I can't. Please, please clean the oven so I can recommend Setebellos. I shouldn't get a mouthful of charcoal to complement my tomato, basil, mozarella and garlic bliss pizza. I'm pretty sure that much charcoal isn't tradition.

For dessert we had gelato. I ordered the lemon with raspberry and it was delicious. The right amount of tart with sour just the way I love it. The strawberry was delicious and the pistaccio was...well, pistaccio.

Our service was excellent. Our waiter was very friendly and very attentive. We didn't even have to wait to be seated. Settebello really is the kind of place you can go with your best friends and be as loud and obnoxious as you are at home and feel right at home.

You can find Settebellos at 260 South 200 West in Salt Lake or online at http://www.settebello.net/. Expect to pay about $11 for a pizza. All in all I'll give Settebello's a 9 out of 10 just clean your oven, please!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

9 out of 10? I guess it's a good thing Erin doesn't read this anymore. I still love you though.

June 26, 2008 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

What? Come on. Did your pizza crust taste like the burnt stuff in the bottom of the oven? We ate the same pizza. I don't think you can dispute the fact that there was burnt yucky on the bottom of our pie.

June 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totaly agree with krista on this one.. the crust was too brunt...
however, the sauce was very plain... not my cup of tea. i like a flavor explosion and it was almost too bland for me. call me crazy but i miss wagon wheel.... :)

June 26, 2008 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Me too! Unfortunately, our favorite pizza place being a five hour drive away makes it tough to love. Next time...frozen turnovers!

June 27, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Hurray for authentic southern utah pizza!

June 28, 2008 at 2:54 AM  
Blogger Erin Carr said...

I still read it lady! lol I don't think they can clean the oven, if they did then it would taste like soap. It's made from stone. Maybe they cooked it a little to long. I still like it though. so there lol.

June 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

I'm pretty sure they can clean the oven to some degree. Even if they just scraped out the big chunks of burnt stuff. I'm glad you're still reading though...even if I knock your favorite pizza.

June 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home