Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Film Notes: Harry Potterness actually worth buying


Where were you at midnight? Sitting in a dark theater waiting for the previews to start before the magic of "Harry Potter" began. Me, too. And just to clutter up the online world of Harry Potter, I'm going to give you my two cents.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is a showcase of the best work in British filmmaking. David Yates is a God-send who has made the fifth and sixth films far better than any of the previous films by initimately understanding British culture, getting spectacular performance from his actors and envisioning a film with a specific look.

The attention to detail in this film was outstanding-the art department outdid themselves. The director of photography deserves huge accolade for his use of color and the frame. There are few big budget films with this much artistry in them. Finally, the music in the film was absolutely incredible it was never overwhelming nor underwhelming. Watching the fim, it is clear that everyone working on this film loved their job and put everything they could into it.

Now on to the actors. Oh. my. God. Tom Felton is amazing! All the kids have really started to come into their own, but I was blown away by Tom's depiction of a struggling kid who just wants to prove himself. Absolutely fantastic! All the actors playing Weasley's were again brillant and funny. Emma Watson brought a strength to Hermione the books didn't communicate to me.

So yeah, I'm pretty happy with awesomeness of Harry Potter and I'm looking forward to an early bedtime tonight.

Like I said last night, "This might be the only Harry Potter film worth buying on DVD."

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Stevi said...

I love the books so much that I haven't really liked any of the movies. 5 was the best thus far, so I am looking forward to the 6th.

I love Rupert Grint. And I love Ron in the books. I could totally be Mrs. Ruper Grint. :)

Glad you liked it! Makes me more excited!

July 15, 2009 at 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Sally Slytherin said...

I'm going to take umbridge (mis-spelling on purpose this time, as I'm trying to be clever and spell it like Dolores Umbridge) with your assertion that this is the only one worth buying because The Order of the Phoenix was amazing as well and totally deserves the 20 or so bucks they want for it.

July 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Hey Stevi,

I always go into the films expecting to love them less than the books. But this film was incredibly well done and a great adaptation.

And Ms. Sally,

I did enjoy the Order of the Phoenix. I'm willing to watch it again then I'll think about buying it.

Thanks for the comments,
Krista

July 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home