Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Curry in a Hurry

Let the puns begin! This little place near the corner of 2100 South and State Street is best defined as hole-in-the-wall. The restaurant space is hardly big enough for the two tables and counter in the dining area. The curry is served cafeteria style with rice, your choice of meat and veggies and napan (a Pakastani bread much like pita).

This tiny space packs a ton of personality. From the TV with the Bollywood music videos to the sari draped woman behind the counter the whole place appears to be imported from Pakistan. The local Pakistani family who owns this place knows what they're doing with both the decorations and the food.

The rice was cooked perfectly. The chicken was tender and the potatoes were cooked nicely. The curry, the highlight of any Pakistani dish, was delicious. This was my first experience with curry and it left me wanting more. The blend of spice, sweet and heat was unexpected and wonderful. The huge portions were more than I could eat in a single sitting, but the flavor was so good I couldn't stop eating.

One to-go box of their half-platter chicken curry is enough for two meals for me. And for about $8 that makes it well worth the money. For a delightful taste of Pakistan, Curry in a Hurry is an affordable, accessible dining experience.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh that sounds good.... the one curry experience i had the chicken was dry.. flavorful but dry... so it pleases me that dry meat is not a classical curry tradition!

August 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGSOGOOD!! Seriously, I've been wanting to go back there as soon as I took the last bite of my chicken. Although the potatoes were a wee bit too spicy for my wimpy self.

August 8, 2008 at 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home