Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Carl's Jr.

I know, I know my profile says something about cheap, local eats, but I have to talk about fast food. I HATE IT!!!

This past week, I went to Carl's Jr. for the first time. I've boycotted the place since I first saw the Paris Hilton campaign. I'm not an extremist feminist. But come on, a place that sells hamburgers by having a girl in a skimpy bathing suit and heels "wash" a car is completely unappealing to any woman with a healthy sense of confidence and feminity.

Plus, Carl is angry. As local comedian Marcus says, "Carl's Jr. is pissed." Their campaign has gotten progressively angrier since it first began, "If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face."

I understand, I am not Carl's Jr.'s target audience. As a fast-food chain they are directly targeting young men between the ages of 18 and 24. Traditionally, the most difficult group to persuade. Talk about an advertising nightmare, and we lucky us see the results, apparently angry and sexy is the way to talk to men.

My virgin visit wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The set-up is typical of fast-food restaurants trying to be more upscale. You order and are given a number. A server looking for your number then brings your food to your table.

The food itself was edible. The crisp cut fries had a nice seasoning on them, but weren't exactly fried or cut fresh. The onion rings were yucky. They consisted mostly of batter and the onions were apparently from last year's harvest. Nothing fresh, nothing well-cooked and nothing yummy about that!

From the way, Yanto's love ate her chili cheese fries. I'm going to venture they were pretty good. The one's I sampled were cheesy and spicy. Exactly, what I expect from my chili cheese fries.

I've heard from a couple of guys that Carl's is AMAZING! They love it! The portions are big, the food is yummy and "usually" the music rocks. I disagree. I see no point in supporting a national chain with substandard food and service when I can go up the street to a local place, be treated like a person (not a number) and eat good, quality food.

The environment is typical of any fast-food place, except for the even worse than usual pop balring from above. The employees are at best indifferent. The food is typical fast food. All in all, not some place I'm likely to go again. But if forced to choose between McDonald's and Carl's Jr. I may choose Carl's solely because they offer better chili cheese fries.

The key to a happy fast food experience? Low expectations. Really, really low.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the chili fries were ok, except that the fries were kind of soggy, so...not my favorite. Plus it's kind of ugly on the inside. (And by "kind of" I mean it was really uggo.)

PS- if we are forced to chose between carl's and mc d's, I vote mc d's, seriously, mcnuggets...dude...MCNUGGETS!!

August 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

I'm not sure. I have ethical qualms about them both, but Carl's food seemed slightly more passable.

September 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please dont hate me... but i tried a dollar burgar at mc. d .. since that first try, i now kinda crave them.. there simply, nasty, and very VERY cheap! and sometimes after eating gormet food all day i need a brake.. and mc d is that place for me...lol

September 8, 2008 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home