Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

There's burgers in them there hills

Oh my readers, I have so many stories for you. I'm happy to say I have Internet access here in the land of peaches and peanuts for the next few days. So y'all better get used to hearing from me right regular again.

Now on to the recap for the so-called, "Burger Week."


St. George, UT
On the way to Las Vegas Erin, Ava and I stopped at Iceberg in St. George for lunch. I ordered the "Famous Thick Shake" in the flavor of lemon custard. The shake was nearly $5 and huge. I ordered the small and felt overwhelmed by the pint or more of ice cream staring me in the face. The ice cream itself was yummy. But I wouldn't recommend the lemon custard flavor. It was just too much cream for the sweet, artificial lemon to counteract. If you have a big appetite for a shake, Iceberg is worth the price for the size of their shake.

Las Vegas, NV
Oh yes, in Sin City we found burgers at Planet Hollywood. The food was not very good. Our waitress worked really hard to make sure our table was happy. The decor is pretty cool. It was exciting to see John Wayne's high school yearbook and Harrison Ford's jacket from "Indiana Jones." Unfortunately, the decor is not enough. I will most likely never go to another Planet Hollywood restaurant.

Our next burger joint stop was at In 'n Out Burger. As always with any chain the food is consistent. One of my favorite things about In 'n Out is there limited menu. I had the cheeseburger with french fries. The burger was pretty tasty. The fries are marked at mediocre. I suppose my only real complaint about In 'n Out is the ridiculous amount of people in line. Their food is good, but it's not that good. I just don't understand the In 'n Out cult following. Sorry, kids.

Salt Lake City, UT
In the in-between time, I went to Amber's for dinner. Eli made delicious BLTs with avocado replacing the lettuce. So I guess, it's a BAT. A cool trick I noticed was that he peppered the bacon before frying it. It worked out well. Although, I think when I try these on my own I'll have to forgo the dill rye bread. I like rye bread it just didn't work as well with the bacon as I would have liked.

Monticello, UT
Back to burgers again, my dad handled the grill for our family reunion. He made some dutch oven potatoes with bacon. As the man who gave me my love of anything potato he makes a pretty decent dutch. He also grilled burgers and it was dinner with the family. A million kids running around, everyone talking at once and more food than people.

Next up were Navajo tacos at the Pioneer Day celebration in Monticello. I love this dish. You pile up fry bread with chili beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and onion. Unfortunately, the booth I went to didn't have very good beans so the whole dish suffered. The beans were bland and undercooked as the ingredient to give the whole meal it's flavor that's a serious problem. However my craving for fry bread is temporarily fixed until next time I venture into San Juan County since it's apparently the only place to get traditional fry bread.

Athens, GA
Well, I just landed so I haven't eaten anything cool and new yet. But I was told that almost all the local restaurants have live music every night here. I'll be sure to check it out and let you know. Have a fantastic week!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous rox said...

1. Iceberg? Would so never go there again, not only was the meat not that good, but the bun was stale.
2. Planet Hollywood- That's why I went for the turkey club, which was good. (Is it bad how much I missed fry sauce?)
3. In-N-Out- It was a really good hamburger but I agree on not understanding the uberlove. (but then again, who am I to judge anyone else's crazylove).
4. Navajo Tacos- I had to choose between these and the kababs and in the end the kababs won out. And yet I'm still tormented with the thoughts of what could have been.... Which means that when you get back, you, me and Mikey are going to that place on 33rd south to see if we can find some decent Navajo tacos all the way up here.

And um...I think I'm done. (Have you seen Alton yet?)

July 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Nope still in Athens. Atlanta and CNN and such on Friday. I'll let you know, sweetie.

July 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger Eli and Amber Wisden said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Eli and Amber Wisden said...

I was also VERY disappointed with the navajo Tacos -- I guess we'll have to learn how to make it ourselves :) Enjoy Athen!

July 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home