Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Life: Where I've been and other stories

First, where I've been.

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything. I was busy planning a film premiere that went really well. We're currently workshopping our next narrative film and hammering out a contract for a short documentary.

Then I have this paper to put together every couple weeks. It gets better every issue, I promise. I've even managed to write a few articles in the paper myself over the past months.

On Oct. 1 my beautiful niece, Sarah Anne was born so I had some serious family time. Big E even taught me how to make tamales. They were so delicious! My roommates and I couldn't stop eating them. Plus, they let me do tons of homework while I was visiting and I finally got caught up.

Second, the other stories.
There's even a theme! All my stories today are about men (boys?).

Up first is Man-boy.
He is fairly young, especially for the men I'm usually interested in. We work together and I knew he was interested months ago. We went on one coffee date and it didn't go very well. He's one of those guys who I like as a person and I think he's a good friend, but when it comes to attraction there is absolutely nothing between us.

I thought we were being friends and hanging out (as in drinking a couple beers and no physical contact every couple weeks) until I found out he told Ice we're dating. I'm not really sure how to handle that. I think the conversation will go like this:

Me
"Hey Man-boy, you know we're not dating, right?"

Man-boy looks at me like I'm crazy.

Me
"Because that would actually require you asking me out on a real date, physical attraction and spending time alone together. Three things that don't exist in this relationship."

Man-boy will either yell or leave. And it's quite possible he'll quit, which means I'm left doing his job and mine. Ah, me. Grown up responsibilities.

So this week I get to break up with someone I didn't even know I was dating.

Then there's Ghost.
I liked Ghost awhile back and I still kind of do. We had a more or less non-existent relationship. We liked each other, but neither of us was willing to make any effort to actually be in a relationship. At best, you could say we functioned as each other's booty call.

Then Ghost moved and I thought, "Well that's that. It was interesting-kind of wish it could've been something more."

Although in a different city, Ghost hasn't moved on. He text me the other day and wants things to go right back to how they were-only long distance. I'm not sure I'm okay with that.

What do I say? "Hey, I'm feeling more emotionally stable then I was nine months ago. So I'm not really up for that shitty feeling being a booty call leaves me with anymore. But if you want to try an actual relationship then I'm on board." I can see it now like a romantic comedy directed by Quentin Tarantino with slightly less blood.

And finally, there's T.
I actually like T. We met a few months ago and when he first asked me out, I said, "no." It was a bad time for me emotionally because of Ghost and I was out of town. Then he asked me out again and the second time, I said, "yes."

The date was great! We had a good time. We talked about everything from football to religion. We bonded over fried pickles, barbecue chicken wings and beer, pretty much the perfect Salty City date. I was totally ready for date number two.

And then he tells Facebook, "I really wish I could get over a girl." Awesome! At least when he never called, I wasn't surprsied just disappointed.

So between filmmaking, editing, writing, school, work and kind of-ish dating I haven't had much time for talking about food. I promise I still eat, I love beer and I've gotten really good at reheating leftovers in the microwave.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eli and Amber Wisden said...

Thanks for all the family time :) You boy drama is written very well - I love you!

October 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger Stevi said...

Glad your back, if only for one post :)

October 25, 2009 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Oh, you guys are amazing! This is why I'm so glad for my friends and family. Thank you.

Amber, Only you would say "your boy drama is very well." I love you!

October 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM  
Anonymous rikki said...

um ... i better see that tamale recipe, miss.

also, the parts about man-boy cracked me and my roommate up

October 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home