Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Food Review: Bruges in Salt Lake City

Tuesdays Farmer's Market have begun at Pioneer Park. I found myself there with Ava and Erin and across the street I saw Bruges. I've heard great things about this little place near 300 South and 300 West that only offers fries and waffles made in the traditional Belgian style.

Ava and Erin were kind enough to indulge my nerdy excitement over finding such a highly praised restaurant. So after enjoying some fresh cherries and raspberries, we headed over to explore Bruges.

The shop is TEENY! The counter divides the shop in half against the windows is a line of stools at a bar. Most of the seating is outside and the two person staff is constantly getting in each other's way behind the counter as they take orders, cook waffles, fry potatoes and cut fruit.

At just 10 minutes to close, the staff was happy to help us and they continued to take orders until 7:15 p.m. We each ordered a small frites for just $3 with a side of "mayo." I put mayo in quotes because what you really get is mayonnaise mixed with a bunch of yumminess.
I had the andalouse sauce-a combination of Tabasco, basil, peppers and lemon. The sauce was spicy without being overwhelming and the basil gave a nice balance to the heat of the Tabasco. The andalouse was my favorite of the sauces. My next favorite sauce was the mammouth. This sauce tasted the most like traditional fry sauce, but had a few other flavors mixed in like onion and garlic. I also sampled the aioli sauce a combination of mayonnaise and garlic and my least favorite.

The frites themselves were hand-cut and deep-fried to a nice deep golden color. A small is big enough to serve as a huge snack or small meal. The frites were delicious! Plus, you get them in a really cool paper cone so you feel like your eating an ice cream cone of fries.

Next time, I visit I'll try the waffles. They looked and smelled delicious. Judging from the line, it looks like Bruges has a permanent place in the hearts and tummies of Salt Lake City.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home