Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Food Economy--A Rant

So, I went grocery shopping last night. It was fun to see how high the numbers could go before I walked out the door. I live with two other women. We're 20, 21 and 22 and we don't eat a whole lot, but we're not afraid of food either.

Ridiculously, after purchasing enough food for a week it cost $111. According to my mother this is reasonable. But it's not.

Seriously just a few months ago the same groceries would have cost about $75. I know, I know the economy is crashing and there is a $700 billion bailout in the works to save the economic "downturn," are you kidding me?

Sorry, adults. You left your kids with a crappy world. For being a generation so focused on change in your teens and twenties. You sure let me down. I may not be the oldest or most experienced person when it comes to life. But I know paying more than I can afford for food isn't right. And I know any person facing the choice between rent and groceries like I am is wondering what they did to deserve this.

And you know what? No one seems to really want to solve the problem. A $700 billion bailout is like putting a band aid on a broken bone. It's not exactly like this a broken bone of a limb you can live with out either. It's more like the clavicle has been shattered and there's a possibility the lung may be punctured and damage to the heart could occur. And the decision makers went with a band aid--medical malpractice lawsuit for a doctor, another shoo-in vote for the senator.

So yeah, when I pay over $100 for groceries like flour, sugar, eggs, bread and milk I'm upset with the system. Because I'm a college student. I work for next to nothing, in the hopes of achieving the American dream through my right to education. A right I have to pay for with non-existent money through loans from institutions that I'm told may or may not survive the economy.

The story between the lines there people is that I will now be posting more about great places to buy ingredients and good recipes I've created or discovered.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home