Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Port O'Call

Port O'Call
75 West 400 South

For New Year's Eve, Ava and I went to Port O'Call in Downtown. It's a great bar that has been recommended by a few different friends. So we went ahead and took the opportunity to see what it was all about before the city demolishes the building.

We arrived early because I was starving and couldn't wait to devour something. The main floor was packed, but we found a nice little table upstairs on the year-round patio. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. We ordered from the regular menu. Ava had the chicken pasta a.k.a Big Ass Pasta and I ordered a cheeseburger and fries a.k.a Classic Port Burger.

The food was delicious. People say hunger is the best sauce and maybe that's true, but fry sauce with beer-battered, fresh-cut fries is AMAZING! The hamburger was served open-faced. I would have liked more cheese. They also didn't serve any mayonnaise on the side or on the bun which I thought was odd, but not a great loss. It was fantastic bar food and totally worth the $7 price.

I also had an Electric Long Island. As I said, "It's just the way I like them not enough alcohol I can taste it, but enough that I can feel it." I also tried a Tequila Sunrise and a Cape Cod. Although, Ava loves Cape Cod I think I'll stick with the Long Island. Again, our waitress was spectacular and brought us refills before we realized we needed them and made sure we were well taken care of.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Port. They've done a great job of making it feel like you are at a friend's home. I also noticed that the patrons of Port seemed like a big family. There were a lot of large groups of friends around. For a club it seemed more like a pub. And the bathrooms are clean. In my limited experience of clubs in Salt Lake City that is unique.

I would love to go back to Port, but with a $10 cover charge and cocktails running at about $6 each it ended up being a pricey evening for a poor, starving college student. Luckily, Ava is amazing and paid for dinner and drinks. So I got away with paying only $20 for the cover charge. It was totally worth it.

How was your New Year's Eve?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it was called the Port O'Call Pasta Perfection. And seriously, cape cod=freaking awesome.

January 4, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home