Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Salt Lake Pizza & Pasta

Pub Food, Beer and Air

This week, Giggles and I went to Salt Lake Pizza and Pasta. I've been here a few times before and am always impressed by the atmosphere. The decor is modern, warm and comfortable. It feels a lot like Red Rock Brewery, but has a different flair.

Giggles and I waited and waited and waited. Finally, after 15 minutes of "please wait to be seated" sign obedience our server, Cami sat us. I was appalled to see that nearly all the tables were dirty and empty. 9 o'clock at night? And the house was empty? That's not a good sign.

Admittedly, Pizza and Pasta is the family side of Fiddler's Elbow and we were avoiding membership fees by sitting with the little ones, but still. Empty and dirty? Not good.

After we were seated at a nice clean booth, the whole experience was much better. Our server made some drink suggestions including a Raspberry Beer, Blue Moon and an apricot heifweizen. I ordered the apricot ($4.25), while giggles got the Blue Moon ($4.25) . They were great suggestion for two lovers of girl beer.

The apricot had great flavor and was nice and light. So I didn't feel like I'd gained 5 pounds after drinking one beer. Always, a plus! The Blue Moon was a little frothy for me. I'm not sure exactly what was different, but it seemed to carbonated. The flavor was a little less full than the apricot.

Giggles order mushroom gravy pork chops. I order seafood perciatelli ($14.50). Perciatelli are a thick hollow noodle shaped like spaghetti. The seafood included clams, mussels, salmon and shrimp.

As always the food was delicious, but the portions were gargantuan. I loved my pasta dish it had the right amount of heat with lots of flavor. The pesto sauces was great flavor, but a little too oily for me. If I made this dish at home I would cut the EVO in half and let the flavor of the spice stand out more.

The seafood as a whole was great. The salmon was moist, flaky and fresh. The mussels were cooked perfectly and not chewy at all. The shrimp were good, not the freshest I've had, but cooked well and mixed nicely with everything else in the dish. The clams could have been fresher, but they were cooked perfectly. This far from the ocean and at a pub I can't complain too much.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how cheap this place was. Because Giggles is an awesome friend and she bought me dinner. I will tell you this: next time, you're at Pizza and Pasta ask for Cami, order some beer and bring good friends. You will definitely feel like it's worth it.

In the end, it was a great dinner. Cami kept us well-stocked on our beer, but was careful we didn't drink ourselves to the floor. Plus, they let us hang out for a couple hours. In the world of waiting tables, that's pretty good service.

Salt Lake Pizza and Pasta is next to Wells Fargo on the corner of 2100 South and Highland Drive (1100 East).

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

You can check out their prices over on the Fiddlers Elbow website:

http://www.fiddlerselbowslc.com/

--
Stuart
http://www.gastronomicslc.com

November 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Stevi said...

OK so I heard about this place in Roy and was wondering if you had been there. I know its not Salt Lake but still. Its called the Burger Bar, saw it on Food Network. You tried it? If not shall you? :) I want to know if it is good. Keep up the good work!

FYI you can check out my blog also at www.lifeofstevi.blogspot.com

November 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks for the link, Stuart.

Hi Stevi. I haven't been to the Burger bar in Roy, but I totally saw that episode on Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives! I would love to go there. I just never have a reason to be in Roy. I'll check out your blog soon.

They also cover Pat's Barbecue and Blue Plate Diner. Of the two, I have only been to Blue Plate Diner. You can check out my post on that for more info. Basically, really chill and super cheap.

November 21, 2008 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

You should check out Pat's BBQ too Krista. Quite a few rate it as the best BBQ here in SLC.

Weekends can be busy with the live music (plus there might be a cover charge for the main room), but it sure is tasty and fun!

--
Stuart
http://www.gastronomicslc.com

November 24, 2008 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks, Stuart! You definitely rank in as one of my most useful readers (of course, you're all full of wonderful tips and advice). We'll be sure to go there. My list of cool places to check out keeps getting longer and longer. Thanks, again!

November 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home