Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gallery Stroll and Sushi


OMG! Look, there's pictures!

It's the third Friday of the month, again. The roomies and I have a fabulous tradition of wandering around Gallery Stroll. If you've never made it to downtown around 7 p.m. on the third Friday of the month, you are missing out on one of Salt Lake's best little big city moments. This time before we wandered the local galleries at Broadway and 300 West, we stopped by Sapporo for some sushi.It was an excellent fix to my sushi cravings. Jon was the sushi chef again. He couldn't remember our names, but he did remember Erin had been to Italy. As always he was pleasant and friendly. Jon is an excellent reason to sit at the bar.


My Metropolitan role smiled at me. The Metropolitan is probably my favorite roll from Sapporo. It's a combination of samon, yellotail and tuna with asparagus and eel. Unfortunately, on Friday night the fish wasn't as fresh as I've come to expect from Sapporo.

Ava loved the Manitoc. Ava's Manitoc roll looked beautiful. Although, like me she too had to scrape some of the tabiko off the top. That much wasabi is just too hot for anyone not raised in Korea.


Erin again ordered the Sushi Treat and Jon set her up with a nice array of different sashimi. Erin also mentioned she really enjoyed her chef's choice entree. It looked delicious. Some of the treats included caviar and deep frying, so you know it can't be that bad.


Our service was probably the fastest it has ever been at Sapporo. The waitresses were excellent. They both did a great job of bringing us everything we needed. They were both firendly and chatted with the crowd at the bar as well.

I piad about $15 for my roll and a coke. A fairly reasonable price for sushi in the middle of a landlocked state. Sapporo is open Monday through Saturday for dinner from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Sadly, at the end of this visit I would go back to Sapporo as a good faith visit. But if the fish is unfresh again I may have to go back to the unfriendly staff of Tsunami.

Props to Er-Bear for the camera/photo help. Kudos for Jon and holding still so I could take a picture. And Ava for agreeing that asking Erin if she wanted to add anything was hysterical.

Thanks for reading, how was your food Friday?

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

Or check out Kyoto. You will be hard pressed to find anything fresher. They don't mess about with anything too modern, and stick to the authentic and simple.

Sit at the sushi bar too to avoid the crowds. If I recall correctly, on my first review of kyoto theres a pic of the sushi menu, so you can check their prices out before a visit too!

--
Stuart
http://www.gastronomicslc.com

February 22, 2009 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Eli and Amber Wisden said...

I love the pics -- it looks delish!

February 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Stuart,

Is Kyoto paying you? J/K. Every time I post about Japanese, you recommend Kyoto. I will make it over there one of these days.

Hey sis,

More pics are coming, but don't count on thousands of them. I still like words better.

February 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad, friend, slight correction though, sashimi is actually sliced pieces of raw fish usually served plain, or sometimes with rice on the side.

What Er-bear actually had looked more like nigiri sushi (fish, shrimp or something with rice stuck underneath), or maki sushi (the more typical sushi roll)and thus concludes your japanese food lesson for the day.

February 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Erin Carr said...

What I ordered was called "Sushi Treat" I thought when I ordered it that it was actually supposed to be only rolls but a guess maybe Jon likes me and the fact that I'll eat anything he throws at me and gave me a bigger variety. Yum.
When ever you want I'll take the pictures you take care of the words my friend.
Okay, it was funny. lol

February 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Alright next time I post about sushi, I'm going to sit there and grill you Ms. Ava.

Erin, I'm glad you thought it was funny. I totally gave myself silent props for the delivery.

February 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM  
Blogger Netts Nook said...

Your sushi look great. Love it
You need to check out Sushi to Go 900 East and 7800 South.

February 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Krista,

LOL, I wish I was on commission, that would make a nice dent in the dining bills.

In the interests of impartiality, Takashi is really good too, but way more pricey and way more crowded.

Next time you write about sushi I will try to remember I have eulogized here before on Kyoto ;)

--
Stuart
http://www.gastronomicslc.com

February 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home