Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cheap wine and beer

I've experienced a reason resurgence of my love for cheap alcohol. Below is a brief lists of my favorite boxed wines and grocery store beers. Ahh, the joys of living in Utah.

Franzia
The winner is the Franzia Delicious Red--it tastes like wine, it comes in a box. The next best is the boxed Merlot, it's a little heavier than I like, but a decent wine. Their whites are also very nice, just be sure to keep it chilled. Of course, the best part is the price tag. It costs about $12 for five liters.

Vella
In my experiences of sampling boxed wine the Vella wines are too sweet and fruity. It's not really a problem if you've alread had three glasses of Franiza, but not the best first glass. Of the two Vellas I've tried, I like the White Zinfandel more than the Merlot.

Please, please remember wine is completely subjective. Just like any food what makes it good is wether or not you like it.

Now on to my favorite alcoholic beverage, beer.

Corona
Oh yeah, the Mexicans know how to brew it. Plus I can buy a six pack at the store. So a Mexican night of tacos and Corona is always easy to do. I love it with a little bit of salt and lime. This is a nice light beer that tastes like Mexico. Every time I drink one, I remember spring break. It's great!

Blue Moon
I've tried three versions of the Blue Moon beers and I have to say the original is the best. The fall flavor was a little too bitter for my tastes as is the new spring flavor (Honey Moon). Blue Moon is best with a nice slice of orange squeezed in. My biggest complaint about this beer is that it always makes me feel bloated. But it is yummy!

Coors Light
No, just no. The same goes for Bud. Ewww.

What's your cheap alcoholic beverage of choice?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Netts Nook said...

I wish you could buy wine at the grocery store. Not in Utah.........Great Story

April 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks! Yeah, it's one of the quirks of living here. But it's not enough to stop the sinners from drinking. Silly, Utah law.

April 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home