Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

I went through the red door

My mom took me out to dinner last night. She suggested we go somewhere on my list of places to check out, but of course, I know my mother so I had to choose a place that serves fish and chips. The place was MacCool's Public House in Foothill.

It took us forever to get there because I got lost, but once we made it I was happy to see their inviting red door. We were seated immediately in the bar area. The place seemed pretty slow for a Friday night at 9 p.m.

Our waitress took our drink orders very quickly, but then took forever to come back for our dinner order. I know I was starving so everything felt like it was taking ten times longer than it was. But I had to give her the stare down to come ask me what I wanted while she restocked the bar five feet away from me.

The kitchen was kind enough to let my mom substitute the "Finn Skins" for her chips on her fish and chips order. Again, I felt like our food was really slow getting to us. I was starving and the wait with my mother felt forever long.

Plus, I had enough time to finish a Coke. Do you know how long that is for me? Even at my thirstiest it takes me ten minutes to down a soda. I was starving, I needed food immediately. I was past the point of cranky five-year-old-ness.

And then TA-DA! The bus boy showed up with two heaping plates full of warm, Delicious food. I dug right into the "Finn Skins." The dish is made up of deep-fried sliced potatoes topped with sour cream, bacon, cheese and onions. They were delicious! My mom and I both agreed that the potatoes were the best part of the entire meal.

As I said, my mom ordered the fish and chips. Her fish was battered and fried cod. It was kind of mushy and the fish didn't seem as fresh as it should be. The tartar sauce was good. In the end the fish was nothing special, but nothing awful either. Just food.

I ordered the citrus chicken served with salad and toast. The citrus chicken had been marinated for a bit too long so the skins were a little overpowering. My mom really didn't like the lemon flavor. Now you know, I love lemon, but this chicken had too much seasoning.

The salad turned out to be mixed greens with Caesar dressing. A really yummy Caesar dressing. The salad was my favorite part of my plate.

The toast was plain bread toasted on the oven. It was pretty good bread, but bread without butter is a travesty. I know their an Irish pub, but do they have to act like it's a famine and not give me butter?

I left MacCool's with a resolution: to come back later with my friends and order appetizers and beer.

What's your St. Pat's Day hang out?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

Wow, I am surprised your food took so long to come out. From experience they are winding down at 9PM, maybe the kitchen had switched off mentally.

MacCool's is somewhere we often head to, when in need of fulfilling "Quick, cheap, easy". Their corned beef sandwich always hits the spot for me, with a pint or two of tetleys.

--
Stuart
http://www.gastronomicslc.com

March 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You saw a red door? Did you want it painted black?

Also, Happy Paddy's Day! Are we doing anything? We should something, I have no idea what yet, I'll think about it and then get back to you in person.

March 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks, Stuart! Yeah, it was obviously a slow night so I think you're right about the mentally switched off part.

Yes, Ava. I wanted the door painted black very, very much. Unfortunately, I was with my mommy so she completely missed the reference.

March 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home