Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Food: Savory sweet breakfast



After a late night and an even later morning, I was craving breakfast with some serious punch so I came up with the savory and sweet combination of pancake eggs.

I've seen the "breakfast sandwich" on The Park Cafe menu, but I thought it sounded a little strange. Turns out, it's the perfect fix when you're starving for breakfast at 1 p.m.



First, for the pancake I threw together the Krusteaz mix (1/2 Cup mix with 1/2 Cup water) with a little cinnamon (about 1 teaspoon) and a little nutmeg (just a pinch).

Following Alton Brown's rules of pancake mixing, I whisked it four times clockwise and three time counter-clockwise. He says this keeps the dough soft and I concur since following this rule the texture of my pancakes has improved tremendously.

Next I poured the batter on my hot, buttery skillet.

Then I heated up a baby skillet for some egg frying. I used a little bit of spay-on grease and cracked the egg directly into the pan. I tossed in a pinch of Kosher salt and a dash of fresh ground pepper.

Back to the pancake side of the stove. When the dough on top started to bubble, I flipped the pancake to reveal a nice even golden brown crisp. My dad says the dough should bubble, burst and leave a hole in the dough. It's the best way I know to check a pancake is cooked without a lot of messy flipping.

I added just a drop of water to the frying egg and covered the pan. This is the key to properly frying eggs in my kitchen.

Then I removed the perfectly cooked pancake just like my dad taught me and slathered it with butter and syrup just like my mom would love.

Next I turned the flame off the egg and let it hiss for a couple minutes before sliding the egg on to the syrup drenched pancake.

Then into my tummy in about five minutes. This was such a delicious combination. I loved the salty sweet combination of syrup and salt. Plus the egg yolk mixed with the cinnamon, nutmeg pancake really well.

Now I'm off to enjoy a huge mug of coffee with loads of cream and sugar. Happy afternoon morning!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

This sounds delicious! I'm going to pass this on to my roommate. I think he'll love it.

October 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks, Jenny. I hope he enjoys it.

October 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Anonymous rikki said...

nice narration of a cool dish.

i don't like egg or pancake OR syrup, and you made this sound fun and yummy!

October 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Rikki, what is wrong with you? You don't like pancakes and syrup? It's a sugary sweet mess of buttery deliciousness. You should try them again. Really. Really. Good.

October 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home