Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Alcohol Review: Beer buzzes in Utah

So apparently there's this guy Dell Vance who really likes Utah and beer. I think we're soul mates. He opened the Beerhive Pub on 128 South Main Street in Downtown to share his favorite things with me.

Okay, maybe it's not all for me, but I'm going to pretend it is. I love this little place. The upstairs is comfortable and clean. There's also a nice mix of browns, reds and light in the decor. Seriously, a bar where you can see the people around you...amazing.

I visited the Beerhive with Patrick, Ava and Erin last weekend and it was a vast improvement over our first bar of choice the Green Pig. The vibe at the Beerhive is comfortable. It manages to feel like a bar where it's okay for the ladies to hang out by themselves without getting creepy comments and/or stares from the men who are also hanging out by themselves.

The beer menu is impressive with over 100 choices. I saw lots of beers I wanted to try, but in efforts to pay off my credit card I stuck with the cheap, local, on-tap brews and had some Uinta Cutthroat. (I'm down to the last credit card, people!)
We met some of Patrick's friends who were really cool and tried lots of tasty beers. All in all it made for a great night with a great server who was adorable, on top of things and fun.

Also I hear tell the food menu comes from Vienna Bistro and is made of Austrian goodness by their chef Frody Volgger so next time I head to the 'hive I'll have to try out some wiener schnitzel.
The photos come from City Weekly and SLCLunches.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ava Collins (no relation to Tom) said...

This place is dangerously close to pushing out Murpheys as my favorite bar.

November 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Erin Carr said...

I think it's right up there with the bayou for me. Fun place. I'm with you my dear, mmmm wiener schnitzel.

November 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Eli and Amber Wisden said...

This looks yummy and worth a visit -- Thanks!

November 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Ava and Erin,

I want to test out the food next time we go there. And Ava, you're right this place might just beat out Murphy's as a new favorite downtown bar.

Amber,

You should ask Eli to babysit and come have a girls night with us. I miss you!

November 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Del & Frody have shown that cooperation between businesses can really benefit customers, while revitalizing a once dead business area.

The Power of Beer and Leberkäse!

November 23, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home