Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Food Review: Adventurous Chinese cuisine at a Southern cafe

When CBC and I went to Bay Leaf Cafe, I tried this incredible dish called "congee." It is a delicious rice porridge served with ginger and an egg hard boiled in tea. The server said congee is a traditional breakfast dish from China and at his recommendation I tried it out.

The rice was warm, soft and about the consistency of a risotto. Mmmm...just the memory makes me want to go back for more. The rice seemed to have some sort of vinegar in it as a seasoning at first it was a little off-putting, but then when I got some of the fresh ginger with the vinegary rice there was an awesome blend of savory, bitter and sweet going on.

The century egg was somehow boiled in a tea until it turned dark purple. The egg looked a little intimidating, but ended up being much better than any other hard boiled egg I've ever tried. So good! This is a dish that changed my life, people.

We also had fried pickles because CBC just had to taste how delicious this amazingly Southern dish is. Once again, Bay Leaf delivered and I have to tell everyone to try out fried pickles. They are amazing!

CBC had the catfish po'boy. It was pretty good, but it didn't win mad adventure points like the congee or fried pickles. The ingredients were all fresh. And the sandwich wasn't dry and it wasn't mushy--it was just right.

Our server was amazing! He's definitely my favorite at Bay Leaf. I just can't remember his name. Maybe, Michael? Or Caleb? Something Bible related. Anyway, man with red hair was fantastic.

Bay Leaf Cafe, I love you. Please prove the statistic wrong and stay in business. Salt Lake City needs you. I need you.

Now, excuse me I'm off for some congee experimentation.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Stevi said...

Glad you blogging again! that sounds divine! I need you to make me a list of all the places I need to eat in SLC before I move. :)

December 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Hang said...

Nifty, I just ate there last night for the first time. They were all out of congee. I was looking forward to see if it was as good as my grandmother's. Instead I had the meatloaf and it was pretty tasty. I went close to closing time and chatted with Haylen & Seth (owners) and Oscar there after their long shifts. Highly recommend!

December 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks, Stevi! I'm happy to have a few extra minutes for blogging again. Definitely check out Bay Leaf, Red Rock, Tsunami and Finn's.

Hang, I'm so sorry you missed congee! You must go back and sample. I can't believe you were there just before closing. You are a busy eater, my friend.

December 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home