Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Food Review: Get your vegan on

Joan, CBC and I went to Vertical Diner after an In n' Out Burger misadventure. Turns out vegetarian burgers are pretty delicious if you know what you're doing.

Vertical Diner is a misplaced vegetarian restaurant next to a meat packing plant just off 2100 South in Sugar House. They have a teensy parking lot with no lights so drive extra safe if you're there at night, but once you get inside you forget about the scary parking.

The diner was a little cold the night we were there. I'm talking cold for a restaurant people, not just me whining about winter again.

Our server Caleb was helpful and fun. He was definitely light-hearted and helped us feel better about the long drive to the long line at In n' Out.

I tried the vegetarian burger with french fries. Turns out everything on the menu is vegan friendly--and I didn't even notice. It was surprisingly good. I was so impressed by the tofu burger I ate most of it. My only complaint is that the bun was a little dry.

The fries were served with vegan fry sauce that has left me wondering how it is even possible to make vegan mayonnaise. They were pretty tasty and if I hadn't known the fry sauce was vegan I wouldn't have noticed.

Joan loves the avocado sandwich from Vertical Diner. And CBC tested out a pulled pork sandwich. In the end, I was pleasantly surprised by the vegan food of Vertical Diner. Joan says Vertical Diner is the best place for non-vegans to go with their vegan friends.

The cost was about the same for any other diner in town, which is to say a burger or sandwich will run you about $8.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous rikki said...

one of my peeves with veggies is how they always need to create a bunch of substitutes that taste and feel similarly.

mayo in general freaks me out but i think this is sorta what ya meant

http://www.followyourheart.com/vegenaise.php

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipes/messages/98577.html

December 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home