Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Soup Kitchen

You already know I love The Soup Kitchen on 1100 East and 2100 South. How could I not? A cup of soup for $2.69, an order of onion rings for $1.49, plus free bread sticks--it's like I've gone to cheap lunch heaven.

The potato leek soup is my new favorite. The soup is a nice creamy texture with big pieces of potato, bacon and leek. And since a leek is a "gourmet onion" I loved it. This is a grown-up's potato soup with lots of flavor.

I also grabbed a couple of the free cheese bread sticks. I ended up eating just one because that's all I needed for a cup of soup. The bread sticks are made fresh each day. My favorite part of the bread stick is the fluffy texture of the bread. The flavor is a little bland for me, but since it goes in my soup it's not a big deal. I just don't eat the bread sticks plain.

Finally the onion rings--the amazing golden rings of beer-battered and deep-fried deliciousness. I probably don't have to tell you how much I love the Soup Kitchen's onion rings, but I will. They are so good! Everyone should try them. The batter is rich and flavorful with plenty of herbs, spice and beer. Then they are fried perfectly so the outside is crispy and the inside is soft.

Served with a side of fry sauce mixed at a nice ratio of real mayonnaise to ketchup, the onion rings really couldn't get any better. And like I said lunch for just under $5.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home