Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Monday, June 22, 2009

I found new love

Now that sunshine is back, my new love is beer. Yes, beer!

For Erin's birthday, we went to the Grill on the Hill at Snowbird where three ounce beer samples cost a dollar, but admission is free.

I enjoyed $14 worth of local beers. Including some new ones.

My favorite new beer discovery is the Desert Edge Brewery's Anniversary Amber Ale. The Desert Edge is located at Trolley Square in Salt Lake City. I'll be stopping by to check out their food. The other brews they had on tap weren't nearly as sweet and smooth, but still a decent beer.

My favorite new brewery is Hoppers in Midvale, Utah. Sadly their beer is not available in stores. The bar tender informed they're looking at a bottling line in the next six months. So watch for their Pale Morning Ale and Orange Honey Hefeweizen. Ava and I are already planning a future trip to their brew pub in Midvale, perhaps a student loan payment victory beer?

I also liked the Moab Brewery's Deadhorse Ale. It was a little bitter, but I know what I'll drink next time I'm in town. They also served anoter Ale and a Pilsner. The Scorpion Ale was a little more bitter than the Deadhorse. I didn't try the Pilsner, but was told it was one of their more popular beers.

Bohemian Brewery from some place (I completely forgot which country in Europe) had a Bloch which was way to heavy and bitter for me. I also tried their red brew. Again, I've forgotten which type of beer it was. The red was much smoother, but not something I'll go out of my way to find. Bohemian gets props for their tagling, "Serving blonds, redheads and brunettes daily." Instant love!

I also had Uinta's Cutthroat again. A nice beer I've always enjoyed, but Uinta only served brews I've tried before so I stayed away from their booth for most the day.

Squatter's was again serving their Polygamy Porter, which is a great beer. It's dark enough I feel like a real beer drinker, but smooth enough I can actually drink it. The opposite of Captain Bastard's Stout from Squatters.

I also had the Chasing Tail Pale Ale again. It's a nice ale that goes down easy. I especially like the brightness of this brew.

After sampling so many beers I have to retract my love of Squatter's Hefeweizen a little, it's more bitter than a few other hefe's I tried, but still a nice brew from a local pub. My new love is their Summer Ale. It's a nice citrusy drink that goes down smoother than Corona. Plus, buying it will support my local economy.

If you didn't make it to Snowbird's Brewfest, try Oktoberfest in the fall. The local beer scene just keeps getting better. And hopefully by then I can bring Hopper's beers home.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

Just a quick correction. The Bohemian Brewery is located in Midvale, just east of state street on 7200 so. It's all local baby! Cheers!

June 23, 2009 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Really? Thanks, Mikey. I think I was confused by the crest.

June 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home