Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's all in the roux

I attempted to make mac & cheese the other day. I thought a nice comfort food with bacon bits would go nicely with the drizzly weather these days. And it did sort of.

Unfortunately I didn't mix the flour in the bacon grease quite right so I ended up with a grainy roux. In my efforts to solve the grainy problem, I cooked the sauce for just a few minutes. The longer I let the sauce cook the grainier the roux seemed to become.

I'm not really sure what I did wrong so any advice or insights into how to fix my current roux problem please let me know.

I ended up with a thin, grainy cheese sauce, lots of bacon bits and overcooked pasta.

*Sigh* My cooking mojo has left me. Maybe I'll try something new. Any ideas?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lasagna. Because it's what Garfield would want.

June 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Hmm...I'll think about it. I've never been a big fan of lasagna, but I understand Garfield is kind of a big deal.

June 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm forced to question your experience with lasagna, becaues in Ava-land it's pretty much The Shit.

June 17, 2009 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger Erin Carr said...

I didn't know you didn't like lasagna. I love lasagna! lol Maybe soon I'll make some spaghetti.

June 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home