Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Food Recipe: Congee, again!

So I tried to be inventive and figure out how to make this dish on my own. Unfortunately, I should really stick with making traditional American/Italian comfort cuisine. Sometimes I can handle a taco, but you know anything else just throws me.

This picture is not what my congee looked like. It was much more gloppy and less overall appealing. I put 13 cups of water with one cup of rice vinegar into the 50s rice maker with two cups of medium grain rice. This was a bad idea. About four-fifths the way into the rice cooking, I realized I should've left the lid half off so the water could actually cook down.

The next bad idea was trying to recreate the century egg from Bay Leaf Cafe. I went ahead and steeped three bags of green tea into a pot of hot water for about 15 minutes. Then I boiled the eggs for about 20 minutes.

I successfully died the egg shells a funky brown color and made the eggs looked disease. This was clearly not enough tea time to actually have any effect on the egg.

In the end, I determined the congee was edible and served it up with some steak strips, onions, boiled egg and sweet red pepper. My thought was this would taste like a hearty breakfast dish perfect for dinner.

Ava was a good sport and ate some. She even said it was good for a first try. My roommates are amazing!

I think I'll try congee again. I just need to do some more research before I boil anything again.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chef E said...

I have always been curious about this dish, and my goal is to make Asian recipes this year, and stop making up my own concoctions...like the blog!

December 27, 2009 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Thanks for reading! Asian is always tough for me.

December 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous rikki said...

a picture coulda said 1,000 words!

December 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home