Salt City Girl

Raves and rants about the Salty City's food, film and alcohol.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Life: T.S. Eliot and other cool literary people

I've been reading The Norton Anthology of English Literature. And I love it! I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the poetry and prose published between World War I and World War II.

So far I've read T.S. Eliot and "Black Elk Speaks" by John G. Neihardt. It's weird to see the contrast reading them right in a row like that.

And T.S. Eliot is amazing! I've come across so many great insights in his work. It really makes me think about what life must have been like for him in the 1920s and 30s. I also love that he spent seven years writing just one poem. According to the book, Eliot was instrumental in the movement of modern poetry, but I think most of you will remember him for saying,

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang,but a whimper.

And interesting tidbit? It's a play on the children's rhyme, "Here we go around the mulberry bush."

I'm in love.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin Carr said...

Yeah summer and having the time to read what we want! Oh yeah Yeah being done with college and having to time to read what we want!

May 19, 2010 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Stevi said...

love the new background!! And T.S. Eliot is great! I loved minoring in English so I could read amazing literature that I probably wouldn't get to during college otherwise.

May 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Krista Smith said...

Hi Erin, I'm loving all the extra time I have these days.

Thanks, Stevi. I didn't realize how cool literature could be until Manfriend got around to forcing some Vonnegut on me. And now, I've got to catch up on all the amazing writings I missed.

May 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home